Thursday, June 18, 2015

No Justice No Peace


When I woke this morning the world was whole, but now as I lay my head down to sleep under the blanket of freedom we are all supposed to be afforded in America I realize our nation is shattered in a million pieces.  Nine black people lay dead in an AME church in Charleston, South Carolina after a single, white, gunman entered the sanctuary and opened fire. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/17/charleston-south-carolina-shooting/28902017/


I have more questions than answers.  Why does this keep happening in our country, and how could someone commit such a heartless crime against humanity, in a church of all places.  What should our response be?  Can this gunman be forgiven his sins against our community?

I was just extolling the virtues of the human race since Adam ate that apple, and now it appears the sins of man just keep growing more and more insidious and malicious.  

As I scan my Twitter timeline, my emotions run high.  Black twitter is urging our community to stop praying, and take up arms NOW.  Conservatives are calling for calm.  Media is loath to call the alleged gunman a "terrorist" or "thug," monikers they effortlessly slapped on young, black protesters in Baltimore.  But what is the right direction for America at this time in our history, do we pray or do we protest.

As the mother of a precious, 6-year old black girl I say the right response must be prayer and protest.  I cannot in good conscious close my eyes and rest, when this is the world that awaits her outside the safety of our home.  I rage against elected officials who ride the money train into office on the dime of the National Rifle Association, and legislate to keep the NRA strong.  I rail against American's that ask for an in-depth investigation before we cast aspersions and judgments.  I bristle at my own belief that we are all redeemable and deserve forgiveness for sins against our fellow man.

The burning question is how will America wake up tomorrow, and what justice will she mete out for such an unspeakable event.     

No comments:

Post a Comment